Welcome to Medinipur Ashrama

This Ashrama at Midnapore, was established in 1914 at its present location by a group of local devotees, who were inspired by Sri Sarat Chandra Chakraborty, a direct disciple of Swami Vivekananda. Sri Chakraborty was then working as the Superintendent of the Post Office in Midnapore. In its initial stages, the Ashrama was a small Sevashrama housed in a small two-storeyed building with the shrine and the monks’ quarters on the first floor and the office on the second floor. The building had been gifted to the Ashrama by the Narajole Raj family of the district.
When Sri Sri Ma Sarada was on her way to Calcutta by train, the devotees met Her on the Midnapore railway station, offered Pranams and sought Her blessings after apprising Her on the establishment of the Sevashrama. She blessed them saying that the Ashrama would become a good Math Centre. The Ashrama Centre was also blessed by Swamis Subodhanandaji and Premanandaji, the two direct disciples of Sri Ramakrishna, who visited it later.
In 1931, the Belur Math granted its affiliation to the Midnapore Centre and it was named as the Ramakrishna Mission Ashrama. Swami Vishokatmanandaji took charge of the Midnapore Ashrama as its Secretary in March 1945, following which the Ashrama started growing. The year 1948 saw the starting of the Primary School, Vidyabhavan, and the charitable Dispensary. In 1951, the Secondary School from standard fifth began operations. In the same year, a Students’ Home was also opened by Swami Vishuddhanandaji Maharaj. The Higher Secondary School was subsequently opened in 1957. On April 25, 1974, the new temple with an imposing shrine of Bhagavan Sri Ramakrishna was consecrated by Swami Vireshwaranandaji Maharaj. The Ashrama was divided into the Math and the Mission in 1986. All this was made possible with the generous donations and assistance offered by devotees and well-wishers.